Higher Diploma in Computer Science [ICT Skills Conversion]
Know a graduate looking to start a career in Computer Science?
Applications are now closed for the 2019/20 Springboard+ Higher Diploma in Computer Science [ICT Skills Conversion] programme.
This full-time programme, delivered over one academic year, is suitable for individuals holding a primary degree in another discipline (e.g., Arts, Business, Social Science, etc.), seeking to convert to Computer Science. The curriculum places a strong emphasis on the practical aspects of modern Computer Science and is designed to provide individuals with the appropriate skills to enter into an IT-related career.
Contact Gráinne at 01 716 2486 or email email@example.com with any related queries or questions.
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.
The Higher Diploma in Computer Science [ICT Skills Conversion] is suitable for individuals holding a primary degree in another discipline (e.g., Arts, Business, Social Science, etc.), seeking to convert to Computer Science. It is a 1-year full-time programme delivered over three semesters. The programme places a strong emphasis on the practical aspects of modern Computer Science and is designed to provide individuals with the appropriate skills to enter into an IT - related career.
Furthermore, this NFQ Level 8 programme includes a pathway to the NFQ Level 9 MSc Computer Science (Conversion) programme.
This programme has been specifically designed for graduate students of disciplines other than Computer Science. No prior knowledge of programming is assumed. During the first two semesters, students take modules with learning outcomes aimed at providing fundamental skills required by modern technology companies. In the summer, the work placement allows students to apply the skills learned in the taught modules in a more significant project and to see where these skills can play a role in industry.
The structure of the programme is as follows:
Year 1 (Sept-Dec)
Year 1 (Jan-May)
Year 1 (May-Aug)
Modules and topics shown are subject to change and are not guaranteed by UCD.
• This programme is intended for applicants who do not have a Computer Science or ICT background. An Upper Second class honours degree (NFQ level 8), or the international equivalent, in another discipline is required for entry. (In exceptional circumstances, a Lower Second class honours degree (2:2 grade) will be considered if the applicant shows evidence of significant relevant prior experiential learning.)
• Computer Science is a mathematical subject involving logical understanding and reasoning and therefore applicants must be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of mathematics. We expect a minimum leaving cert maths result of either A2 Ordinary or C3 Higher; otherwise, we look to see if an applicant has completed, and done well in, a university level maths module.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
This programme receives significant interest so please apply early online here.
Please download our Postgraduate Reference Form to provide to your referees.
I chose to study the Higher Diploma in Computer Science due to the rapid growth of the IT industry to the pinnacle of both the Irish and global economy. The opportunity to excel myself with a dynamic skill and expand my interest in technology was an easy decision to make. In terms of the course, I thoroughly enjoyed learning both Java and Python programming languages, as these modules gave me an insight into a world of endless potential and possibilities, taught in a well-structured learning environment. Overall, I believe the variety of core Computer Science modules provided an insight into many streams of the fast moving IT industry, and this was perhaps the most attractive feature of the Springboard+ course. Through taking the course, I entered the interviewing process with the confidence that I was ready to begin a career in IT. The Springboard+ initiative provided me the platform on which to build a successful career.
- Neil Brennan - UCD, Higher Diploma in Computer Science (ICT Skills Conversion)
(Placed with Paddy Power)
- David Magee - UCD, Higher Diploma in Computer Science (ICT Skills Conversion)
(Placed with Rise Alliance)