Dr Brett Becker
- B.Sc. Software Engineering
- Year 1 Computer Programming 2
- Year 3 Software Engineering Project
- Year 4 Parallel and Cluster Computing
- Year 4 Software Engineering Degree Project
- B.Sc. Internet of Things
- Year 1 Computer Programming 2
- Year 4 Internet of Things Engineering Degree Project
Computer Science Education, High Performance Computing, Parallel and Distributed Computing, Heterogeneous Computing
- Becker, B.A., Goslin, K. and Glanville, G. "The Effects of Enhanced Compiler Error Messages on a Syntax Error Debugging Test" Proceedings of the 48th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2018), Baltimore, Maryland, USA, ACM,February 2018.
- Becker, B.A., Murray, C., Tao, S, Song, C., McCartney, R., and Sanders, K. "Fix the First, Ignore the Rest: Dealing with Multiple Compiler Error Messages" Proceedings of the 48th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2018), Baltimore, Maryland, USA, ACM, February, 2018.
- Zingaro, D., Craig, M., Porter, P., Becker, B.A., Cao, Y., Conrad, P., Cukierman, D., Hellas, A., Loksa, D. and Thota, N. "Achievement Goals in CS1: Replication and Extension" Proceedings of the 48th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2018), Baltimore, Maryland, USA, ACM, February 2018.
- Becker, B.A. "Artificial Intelligence in Education: What is it, Where is it Now, Where is it Going?" In: Ireland’s Yearbook of Education 2017-2018, pp. 42-46 (Themes), Education Matters, 2017.
- Luxton-Reilly, A., Becker, B.A., Cao, Y., McDermott, R., Mirolo, C., Mühling, A., Petersen, A., Sanders, K., Simon and Whalley, J. "Developing Assessments to Determine Mastery of Programming Fundamentals" Proceedings of the 2017 ITiCSE Working Group Reports (ITiCSE-WGR ’17), ACM, 2017.
- Becker, B.A., Glanville, G., Iwashima, R., McDonnell, C., Goslin, K. and Mooney, C. “Effective Compiler Error Message Enhancement for Novice Programming Students” Computer Science Education pp. 1-28, 2016; [doi]. Please see this page for more information including free copies of the Version of Record, Authors’ Accepted Manuscript, and more.
- Becker, B.A. “A New Metric to Quantify Repeated Compiler Errors for Novice Programmers” Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2016), Arequipa, Peru, ACM, July 2016.
- Becker, B.A., Mooney, C. “Categorizing Compiler Error Messages with Principal Component Analysis” 12th China-Europe International Symposium on Software Engineering Education, Shenyang, China, May 2016.
- Becker, B.A. “An Effective Approach to Enhancing Compiler Error Messages” Proceedings of the 47th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2016), Memphis, Tennessee, USA, pp. 126-131, ACM, March 2016.
- Mooney, C., Becker, B.A., Raoof, R., Henshall, D. “EpimiRBase: a comprehensive database of microRNA-epilepsy associations” Bioinformatics 32(9), pp.1436–1438, 2016; [doi]
- Lillis, D., Becker, B.A., O’Sullivan, T., Scanlon, M. “Current Challenges and Future Research Areas for Digital Forensic Investigation” The 11th ADSFL Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law (CDFSL 2016), Daytona Beach, Florida, USA, May 2016.
- Becker, B.A. “An Exploration of the Effects of Enhanced Compiler Error Messages for Computer Programming Novices“, MA Thesis, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland, November 2015.
- DeFlumere, A., Lastovetsky, A., Becker B.A. “Partitioning for Matrix-Matrix Multiplication with Heterogeneous Processors: The Optimal Solution”, HCW 2012 – The 21st International Heterogeneity in Computing Workshop (in conjunction with IPDPS 2012, The 26th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium), Shanghai, China. IEEE Computer Society, 21 May 2012.
- Becker, B.A. “High-Level Data Partitioning for Parallel Computing on Heterogeneous Hierarchical Computational Platforms”, PhD Thesis, University College Dublin, School of Computer Science and Informatics, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, Dublin, Ireland, April 2011.
- Becker, B.A., Lastovetsky A. “Max-Plus Algebra and Discrete Event Simulation on Parallel Hierarchical Heterogeneous Platforms”, In Euro-Par Parallel Processing, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 6586. Springer, Berlin, pp. 63-70, 2010.
- Becker, B.A., Lastovetsky, A. “Towards Data Partitioning for Parallel Computing on Three Interconnected Clusters”, Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC 2007), Hagenberg, Austria, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 285-292, 5-8 July 2007.
- Becker, B.A., Lastovetsky, A. “Matrix Multiplication on Two Interconnected Processors”, Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Algorithms, Models and Tools for Parallel Computing on Heterogeneous Networks (HeteroPar 2006), in conjunction with the 8th IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing (Cluster 2006), Barcelona, Spain, IEEE Computer Society, 25-28 September 2006.